Conference News and Events
Plenary Session #2 of the 2013 Digital Media & Learning Conference, "Youth, Pop Culture, and Participatory Politics" Craig Watkins, Andrew Slack, Mark Anthony Neal, and Henry Jenkins discussed how young people's engagement with pop culture is a gateway to finding their voice and place in the sphere of participatory politics. Drawing from a variety of pop culture formations (including hip hop, fan cultures, etc.), the panelists considered some of the creative ways young people engage in participatory politics.
To close out DML2013, we had the second round of "Ignite Talks"--five-minute, condensed talks--on a wide range of topics. We will have the full recording of the 2nd round of Ignite talks, and the individual videos up on the official DML2013 YouTube Playlist soon!
Plenary Session #1 of the 2013 Digital Media & Learning Conference, "Remixing Citizenship, Remaking Democracy"
Craig Watkins, danah boyd, Rob "Biko" Baker, Cathy Cohen, and Astrid Silva addressed the various forms and contexts through which young people's engagement in their communities and networked publics are creating distinct opportunities for civic engagement, and expanded on what it means to be a citizen in the 21st century.
To kick-off DML2013, Ethan Zuckerman addressed the argument that civics is "in crisis," helped us think about what the future of civics might look like, and introduced us to an easy-to-understand framework of what makes for 'good' civic engagement. Click here for a great live-blogging write-up of Ethan's keynote.
In the afternoon, we had the first round of "Ignite Talks"--five-minute, condensed talks--on a wide range of topics. Check out the YouTube video page for a time-stamped "Table of Contents" guide to each of the Ignite Talks. We will have the individual videos up on the official DML2013 YouTube Playlist soon!
For those unable to attend DML2013 in-person, you can watch several key sessions live, including the Opening Keynote by Ethan Zuckerman and the two Plenary Sessions. See the "Watch Live" page for details on our live streaming schedule. [Note: if you're attending these sessions in-person, please refrain from watching the video feed as it may stress internet bandwidth for you & your fellow attendees]
If you are attending DML2013 and using either an iPhone or Android device, you can download a handy Conference Schedule application called a "Yapp." You can download it in just a few easy steps:
- In your mobile browser, go to http://my.yapp.us/DML2013
- This link will redirect you to the App Store, where you’ll be prompted to download the "YappBox" App. (If you already have YappBox installed, the "Yapp" should automatically open.)
- Once the "YappBox" App is installed, open it, and the DML2013 Conference Schedule "Yapp" will download.
DML2013 is fast approaching! Below are important deadlines, links, and events for next week's conference:
1. DML Cafe Call for Proposals: Open until filled!
Saturday, March 16, 2013
• Two 90-minute sessions (one day only!): 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM, and 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM
• Only 120 slots available; open to organizations and individuals
• Each participant receives a 10-person round table and 90 minutes to hold an "open house" on topics of their choosing
• Click here to apply for a spot in the DML Cafe, and for additional details
2. Online registration is still open!
Please click on the following link to register: https://www.faingroup.com/dml2013/.
On-site registration will also be available as space permits.
3. Travel and venue information
DML2013 is taking place at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers, which is located in the heart of the city on the Chicago Riverwalk.
4. Live from DML2013: Opening keynote and plenary sessions
Click here to watch in realtime and chat with others live on Livestream.
5. “Is School Enough?” Film screening, discussion, and wine reception
March 15, 2013 6:00 - 7:30 PM [Sheraton III] – Free and open to the public!
Please join us for a preview screening of the new documentary that will be aired on PBS this Fall.
6. Saturday ignite talks and happy hour reception
March 16, 2013 4:00 - 4:30 PM [Sheraton Ballroon 4/5]
Click here for a complete list of Saturday's ignite speakers.